KIDS HOPE MENTOR PROGRAM
The Kids Hope Mentor Program at South Bunbury Primary School is a wonderful opportunity for selected students to develop meaningful relationships with an adult mentor and friend. Students look forward to their weekly one hour visits from their mentors and participate in a range of activities such as games, cooking, reading and revising school work. The Kids Hope mentors provide a stable and positive relationship over time which can become an important part of the students’ lives enhancing self-esteem and social skills.
KidsMatter Primary is the first national mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention initiative specifically developed for primary schools. It involves the people who have a significant influence on children’s lives – parents, families, care-givers, teachers and community groups – in making a positive difference for children’s mental health during this important developmental period.
The KidsMatter Primary initiative aims to:
a) improve the mental health and well-being of primary school students
b) reduce mental health problems amongst students
c) achieve greater support for students experiencing mental health problems.
To achieve these aims, KidsMatter Primary promotes collaborative involvement across the health and education sectors. It provides a framework for mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention (PPEI) that is specifically oriented to primary schools, rather than presenting schools with a single defined program.
The KidsMatter Primary Framework is based on a risk and protective factors model and focuses on four areas where schools can make a difference to student mental health. These four areas are:
1. A positive school community
2. Social and emotional learning for students
3. Parenting support and education
4. Early intervention for students experiencing mental health difficulties.
This program is based on “The Virtues Project”, founded in Canada in 1991 by Linda Kavelin Popov, Dr. Dan Popov and John Kavelin.
- Ref: Popov, Linda Kavelin. The Virtues Project. Educator’s Guide. Jalmar Press, California.
The implementation of this program is aimed at promoting whole school cohesion in mental and personal health. The program supports the concepts of “Kids Matter” and supports the South Bunbury Primary School “Values”.
“The Virtues Project nurtures our children in the skills and qualities they need to be successful in school and in life.”
– Virtues Project International
Our Program Objectives:
- To educate, guide and empower students in the development of their personal and interpersonal skills, their beliefs and integrity.
- To develop leadership skills of year 6 graduating students.
- To develop responsibility and positive role model accountability of senior students.
- Establish ‘priority’ virtues, which can be embedded into the schools values and behavior management system.
- Implement as in conjunction with “Kids Matter” in 2015.
- Implement in conjunction with the establishment of a ‘chaplaincy programme’ in 2015.
- Implement in conjunction with the ‘Mindup’ programme.
The link below will take you to the schools’ Bullying Brochure